Author: University of Nottingham Medical School Division of Histopathology
- Dissolve 5g of gelatine in 1 litre of distilled water. Do not heat over 60C.
- When the gelatine has dissolved add 0.5g of chrome alum (chromic potassium sulphate).
- Cool and dip racks of slides or coverslips into the solution.
- Drain slides and coverslips onto paper tissue.
- Dry overnight in a 37C incubator.
The solution ON USE has to be warm but not hot. It can be kept in a refrigerator overnight and re-warmed on a hot plate so that the method can be repeated.